500g strong white flour
20g fresh yeasy or 7g dried yeast
50g caster sugar
30g melted, cooled butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons mixed spice
50g mixed peel
250ml luke warm water
honey or golden syrup to glaze
FOR THE DOUGH CROSS:
mix plain flour with a couple of tablespoons of cold water until smooth
1. Pre heat your oven to 180c, fan assisted
2. Start by dissolving the yeast in 250 ml of lukewarm water along with the melted cooled butter.
3. Place the flour, spices, salt and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer with the dough hook, mix on a low speed for a minute to incorporate ingredients. Slowly add the yeast, liquid, and egg until the mix comes together. Then add your fruit and mix on a low speed for 5 – 8 minutes or until dough is springy to touch, (it should hold a thumb indentation for a minute or two)
4. If your mixture is sticky simply add a little extra flour. Once your dough is ready, remove to a floured surface and divide into 10/12 equal size balls approx. 100g in weight each. Roll each ball into a circle then place onto a parchment lined baking tray, allowing enough room for each bun to double in size.
5. Make a cross on top of each bun with your thick flour and water paste,. You can pipe it on or use a teaspoon to drizzle it across. Allow the buns to rise in a cosy place - this will take between 25 – 45 minutes depending on your kitchens temperature.
6.Once they have risen place in the hot preheated oven for 18 – 22 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
7. Remove the buns from oven and whilst still hot brush with a little honey or golden syrup.