Recipe: Spicy Chickpea, Quinoa and Sweet Potato Burgers
One of our favourites from Avoca's Well & Good, this delicious gluten free dish can be served in larger 'burger' size or into smaller balls for a healthy & tasty lunch box. And you can make it as mild or spicy as you like.
- 500g cooked weight chickpeas, coarsely blitzed in a mixer
- 450g sweet potato or butternut squash, peeled and cut into a chunky dice
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Generous pinch zatar
- Generous pinch each of ground cumin, coriander & chili flakes
- Dessertspoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander and parsley
- Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Toss the sweet potato in the olive oil, season with salt & pepper and add the ground cumin, coriander & chilli.
- Place on a lined baking sheet & bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly and then either mash with a fork or blitz in a food processor.
- Place in a large bowl and add all the remaining ingredients, mix well until all the elements are mixed through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Shape into individual burgers using 1/2 cup measure as a size guide, chill for 1/2 hour. Can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Pan fry the burgers in a good non-stick pan for a couple of minutes per side and then transfer to a baking sheet and bake for a further 5-8 minutes until piping hot in the centre.
- Serve with a spicy relish, raw mayo or chutney of your choice and some nice peppery leaves.
- Can be made into smaller balls and used to fill a wholemeal pitta pocket too.